The Sugar Land Police Department would like to educate everyone on sham workers claiming to need access to a home to check water pressure, “check the water for Covid-19,” or other cover stories.
If a stranger comes to your door, don’t open the door. Instead, speak to them through the locked door. If you find their behavior or story suspicious, call the non-emergency number 281-275-2020 to request an officer come check it out.
In the meantime, here’s how to spot a real city utility employee — protocol for our customer service technicians interacting with City residents:
- Technicians will only be dispatched to a private residence if a resident has called us about a leak, sewer stoppage, or other issue.
- Our technicians wear either a blue uniform with a visible City logo or a blue t-shirt with a visible City logo.
- All employees carry a City badge.
- Employees will be driving a white City truck with a blue City logo visible.
- Employees will not request access to a resident’s home. Employees will only enter a residence if a resident asks the employee to do so.
- Employees do not ask for water samples from inside a home. Employees will only gather water samples from an outside faucet.
- In response to COVID-19, all employees have been instructed to practice social distancing when interacting with residents.